I am very thankful to God and the leadership of Beulah Alliance Church in Edmonton, Alberta (Canada) for this new opportunity to serve as their Connections Pastor. The transition from Toronto to Edmonton has been good. I have been working hard since I started on March 10, 2015. Easter was epic here! I am currently focussing on building relationships, gathering context, understanding best practices for congregational hospitality, developing volunteer leaders and project management. Private prayer, physical exercise and time in the Bible are important disciplines for me. Four things at Beulah have impressed me so far: (1) the passion of our highly specialized staff who serve with excellence; (2) the capacity, diversity and dedication of the 1000+ volunteers and; (3) the scope of the church’s mission, vision and values. I have discovered that my Top 5 Strengths Finder themes are 1. Strategic; 2. Individualization; 3. Positivity; 4. Woo; 5. Activator and my KOLBE score is 5-4-8-3. I am looking forward to seeing what God does in this new chapter of life and ministry. Join me in praying that God’s dreams for me and all the people will come true in his timing. More about Beulah Beulah Alliance Church has had an outreach mindset since starting 90 years ago. Beulah’s mission is to reach, teach and equip people to know love and serve Jesus Christ. Our energies are focussed around living out this mission corporately and individually as congregants and staff members. You can learn more at the website: www.beulah.ca. The Purpose of this Connections Pastor Role I am responsible for ensuring excellent hospitality at Beulah’s weekend experiences at all campuses, particularly ensuring a positive experience for new attenders. I am also responsible for implementing Beulah’s volunteer mobilization and volunteer leadership development process. Success in this role is connecting new comers into Beulah’s community where they will have opportunity to discover the love of Jesus as well connecting our congregations to opportunities to effectively serve Christ with their gifts, passions and talents, and to discover their full potential as followers of Christ. My Responsibilities A. Guest Services (60%)
- Champion the following aspects of Guest Services (GS):
a. Creation of policies, procedures, values, and constants for GS. b. Develop, administrate, give oversight to, and evaluate Guest Services systems to ensure consistent execution of GS constants at all campuses. c. Stay current with best practices in congregational hospitality, ministry trends, concepts, and ideas. d. Ensure excellent follow up is given to all guests across all campuses e. Develop standards, and constants for lobby design at all campuses. f. Mentor and train campus pastors and / or campus champions for GS.
- Responsible for the implementation of GS at West Campus. (Higher Ground cafe, Ushers, Security, Hosts, Greeters, Info Centre, First Aid, Food Services, Parking).
- Provide direction for Starting Point at all campuses and direct oversight to Starting Point at the West Campus.
- Arrange for, speak into and ensure quality Guest Services experiences at large special events for example such as the Alpha Conference and the Willow Creek Global Leadership Summit
B. Mobilization Strategy (35%)
- Give strategic direction to the overall mobilization strategy at Beulah
- Develop and implement the Beulah leadership pathway for volunteers.
- Create programs, classes and systems for helping people discover their spiritual gifts, and effectively utilize their gifts and passions as volunteers or lay leaders.
- Develop and maintain a database of ministry opportunities
- Promote and refine mobilization best practices with all ministry departments including recruiting, onboarding, training and development of volunteers and volunteer leaders.
- Own and implement the annual Volunteer Gala (Standing Ovation) with a team of staff volunteers.
- Facilitate Foundation for Ministry Certificate courses in collaboration with Ambrose University and the Western Canadian District of the Christian and Missionary Alliance Churches.
C. General Pastoral Duties (5%)
- Perform weddings, baptisms, counselling and funerals as required
- Serve on the “Pastor On Duty” rotation