Pray for spiritual strength when…
You are faint-hearted from sufferings of serving the Lord (Ephesians 3:13).
The darkness of doubt closes in on your emotions.
You feel powerless to change circumstances.
How do you pray for strength? Here is the POP method I invented.
- Pick it. Select a passage on prayer or a topic you are experiencing. You can find these using the tools found in the back of most translations or from experience with previous readings that you have recorded. For example, look at a passage I preached on recently: Ephesians 3:14-21 copied below from the English Standard Version.
- Observe it. Read it with an eye for attributes of the Triune God (Father, Son, Spirit) and the promises in the passages.
- Pray it. Ask that those promises become actualized and those attributes are recognized in your life.
Prayer for Spiritual Strength (Ephesians 3:14-21)
For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.
What response does that beautiful prayer evoke from your soul?
Here are some responses of mine. Please pray them for me too, in support of God’s work in me and others.
- Heavenly Father, I know you hear me as I kneel and pray.
- Heavenly Father, help me comprehend of the expansive love of Christ, which is like an ocean, enveloping me.
- Christ, teach me your love for me so that your way of love can overflow from my heart.
- Holy Spirit, fill me and empower me.
- Heavenly Father, strengthen me by the Holy Spirit, in my inner being because this is consistent with your rich glory.
- Heavenly Father, root me and ground me in Christ’s love so I can be filled to your fullness of character.
- Heavenly Father, I believe that you are abundantly able to do more than we can ask, dream, think, plan or imagine.
- Heavenly Father, use Christ in me as an instrument of your glory in the church for generations.
- Triune God, give me spiritual strength to know your love and power at work in me when I am discouraged, faint-hearted, doubting or powerless.
Next time you need spiritual strength POP a passage on prayer, like Ephesians 3:14-21!
- Here’s a Prayer That Will Change Your Day – Ephesians 3:16-21 (dianneguthmuller.com)
- Women in the Word Wednesday ~ Ephesians week 2 (bonesinmyheart.wordpress.com)
- Praying through Ephesians 3 (veritasmizzou.wordpress.com)
- Praying “Enough” (beamuses.com)