Knowing and fulfilling your calling is a mark of maturity. Do you know your calling?
This past Sunday I talked about “calling”. In Christianity, the word is used often, but requires definition. The root word is the same root as voice. We get vocation from the root word. I define a calling as a distinct and personal divine invitation to redemptive faith action that couldn’t be clearer if it was a text message or phone call. I asked the congregation if they have discerned what God was calling them to do? I explained the Apostle Paul’s calling to reveal the mystery of God in preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ to the unreached Gentiles. Read about it in Ephesians 3:1-2 & 7-10. One piece of supporting material I used was from John Polhill‘s chapter in Preparing for Christian Ministry called “Towards a Biblical View of Call”. It it he lists 6 types of call after the general call to salvation.
The Call: Some Biblical Examples – by John Polhill
- The Dramatic Call: Exodus 3:1-6, Isaiah 6:1-8, Ezekiel 1, Acts 22:6-21, Luke 1:26-38
- The Reluctant Call: Jeremiah 20:7-10, 14-18, Jonah, Exodus 4:1-17, Isaiah 6:6-7, 1 Corinthians 15:9-11, 2 Corinthians 12:7-10
- The Family-Influenced Call: 1 Samuel 1-3, Luke 1:5-23 & 67-80; Mark 3:21, John 7:5
- The Community Call: 1 Timothy 4:14, 2 Timothy 1:5, 1 Corinthians 4:1-5 & 14:32
- The Redefined Call: Acts 6:1-6
- The Misdirected Call: Mark 5:1-20
Do you know what God is calling you to do? When he invites you to join him, go for it. Jesus said, “Follow Me!” first salvation and then into ministry. I hope you hear his voice invite you to join him in a special role of redemptive action. May you experience joy and fruitfulness in your calling. May God use you as a custom made tool in his kingdom work.
- What is your calling?
- How did/will you discern it?
- Has it developed over time?
- Have you ever prayed, asking God to call you into ministry?
- Ask someone about your calling!
- A Call to Ministry (hillsbiblechurch.org)
- My Top 10 personal devotional themes with Bible verses from 2011 plus a prayer verse for 2012. (adamrumball.com)